It's summer. There will be sweat. Correction: There will be dewiness. But with these 30-second hair and makeup tricks, you'll look effortlessly beautiful, whatever the weather's doing.
Find the right red: "Red lipstick is a great summer shortcut because it looks pulled-together but can still be casual," says Buckle. Use his method to keep it laid-back:
Swipe it on from the tube and skip the lip liner and brush, which can make it look too crisp.
Blot it with your finger, which will blur the edges without taking away shine. (Blotting with a tissue will mattify the formula.)
- Red lipstick: For fair skin : Maybelline New York Color Sensational Lip Color in Very Cherry
- Red lipstick: For everyone : Rimmel London Lasting Finish Lipstick by Kate Moss in Shade #10
- Red lipstick: For medium skin : Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Love That Red
- Red lipstick: For dark skin : Avon Totally Kissable Lipstick in Red Embrace, $8
Tie back your hair: Desperate to get your hair off your neck? Gather it into a messy high or low bundle, then throw on a fun patterned scarf to turn the whole thing into a 'do. Try these tips:
Slip on the scarf two inches back from your hairline, and pin it behind each ear to keep it in place.
Don't fret the flyaways. Face-framing wisps give the hairstyle a soft, romantic feel.
- Chic head scarves : Jacqueline Kennedy for QVC, $66
- Chic head scarves : L. Erickson, $40
- Chic head scarves : Forever 21, $3.80
- Chic head scarves : GoJane, $8.30
Blush just enough: "Flushed cheeks make your skin look warm and healthy, so you really don't need much other makeup," says makeup artist Kristofer Buckle. To get it right:
Choose your best shade. Use a powder blush, which Buckle says is less likely to melt off in the heat. Turn to page 38 to find a good one for your skin tone.
Make it look natural. First, apply the blush right at the apples of your cheeks, then blend it back along your cheekbones.
- Best blush: For fair skin : Estée Lauder Pure Color Blush in Wild Sunset, $28
- Best blush: For medium skin : Nars Blush in Gaiety, $29
- Best blush: For everyone : Sonia Kashuk Beautifying Blush in Flushed, $9.79
- Best blush: For dark skin : Nyx Cosmetics: Powder Blush: in Cinnamon, $5