It's tempting to get lazy about eye makeup when you wear glasses, since you figure no one will notice it anyway. But the exact opposite is true. "You need to wear enough makeup to make your eyes stand out," says beauty guru Bobbi Brown, who's been wearing her signature black frames for years. (Look for her new optical collection in stores now.)
- Use concealer to brighten the skin around your eyes, since glasses cast shadows. Look for a creamy, yellow-based formula one shade lighter than your foundation, says Brown. Blend under your eyes and on your inner sockets, then dust a sheer powder on top to set it.
- Liner is key because your eyes will look wimpy without some definition. Wax-based pencils tend to smear, warns Brown, so use a gel formula or a long-wear pencil along the top lashline and run a powder shadow along the bottom.
- Wear waterproof mascara, which will help define your eyes without smudging your lenses. Do your lashes brush up against the glass? Curl them before you put on mascara or use your finger to gently press them up after your mascara dries, says Brown.
- Fill in your brows so your glasses don't overpower your face. Use a stiff, angled brush to apply a powder shadow that matches your hair color.
- Don't forget about your skin. Apply foundation where you need the coverage and swirl a fresh blush shade on the apples of your cheeks.
For Bold Frames
Go on, reach for a red lipstick! A strong lip balances statement-making specs, says Brown. Keep the rest of your makeup simple with concealer, mascara, and liner.
Try Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer Kit, $43; CoverGirl Bombshell Intensity Liner, $14; Sonia Kashuk Shine Luxe Sheer Lip Colour in Sheer Rouge, $11; and Smashbox Waterproof Brow Definer, $22.
For Classic Frames
Be bold with your eye makeup, but stick with a neutral lip color. Brown used smoky shadow plus black liner and mascara to make our model's eyes pop behind thin frames.
Try Physicians Formula Sexy Booster Eye Shadow Quad in "Oh So Sexy," $14; Rimmel London Scandaleyes Retro Glam Waterproof Mascara, $6; e.l.f. Studio Moisturizing Lipstick in Party in the Buff, $3 and Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Cream Shadow Stick in Tuxedo Black, $34.
For Nude Frames
You don't want your makeup to overpower your glasses, so think soft and skin-flattering: A natural brown liner and mascara along with a shimmery champagne shadow, pink blush and lip gloss.
Try L'Oreal Paris Silkissime Eye Liner in Black, $9; Bobbi Brown Lip Art Stick in Dusty Pink, $26; Maybelline New York Face Studio Master Hi-Light Light-Boosting Blush in Pink Rose, $10; Hard Candy All Lid Up Cream Shadow in Fancy Pants, $5; Neutrogena Nourishing Long Wear Makeup, $13.