Hair can feel brittle with the dry winter air. Plus, looking our best for the holiday parties can do some serious heat damage to our lovely locks!
In a desperate search to find a cure for my brittle hair, I came across a few articles recommending coconut oil as a moisture treatment. As I dug deeper I found that coconut oil is the oil our hair can absorb better than any other.
For this DIY all you need is: Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, Clip or Elastic, Shower Cap and a Hair Dryer (optional)
- Scoop out a handful of organic virgin coconut oil. The oil will begin to melt at the touch of your skin, there is no need to heat the oil before application. It will melt as you massage it into your hair.
- Flip your head upside down and slowly spread the oil through your hair. Saturate your hair completely, focusing on areas that are dry.
- Once your hair is soaked with oil, twist your hair into a bun or ponytail.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap. You can choose to apply heat or not. Applying heat will open the cuticle of each strand so the coconut oil can penetrate the core faster. Leave the coconut oil on your hair for at least 30 minutes without heat, or 15 minutes with heat.
- Once your time is up wash and condition your hair as you normally would. You may need to wash your hair twice to rinse away all of the oil.